Graduate Certificate in Individualized Studies
Customize your graduate education
The Graduate College’s individualized graduate certificate program provides you with a graduate-level option when your creative and professional needs cannot be met through any other existing graduate program. The individualized certificate is perfect for:
- Acquiring focused skills
- Launching a new career in an area unrelated to your undergraduate degree
- Updating knowledge
The certificate program incorporates 12 hours of advanced course work in a particular subject area to provide you with advanced skills and continuing education credit. Your program of study is developed in consultation with the Individualized Graduate Committee.
- The student must hold a bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by agencies recognized by Missouri State University or equivalent education from a foreign university.
- The student must have a GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale for the last 60 hours of coursework.
- The student must submit an application
- The student must submit to the Program Coordinator of the Individualized Graduate Certificate program a letter describing:
For the latter, assistance can be obtained from the Program Coordinator, and/or the Individualized Certificate Committee.
- why existing programs do not meet the desired academic focus
- the intended "theme" for the courses to be included in the certificate
- a list of tentative classes, which must have a clear tie to the applicant's theme.
- The student must submit to the Program Coordinator of the Individualized Graduate Certificate program for approval the name of a faculty member willing to serve as his/her advisor who is associated with one of the departments involved in the class list. Assistance in identifying this advisor can be obtained from the Program Coordinator, and/or the Individualized Certificate Committee.
- Application Fee
- For first-time degree-seeking graduate students, pay the $35 non-refundable graduate application fee. If submitting an application after the application deadline, you must also pay a $25 late fee.
- Students applying online will be prompted to pay the fee by credit card or electronic check.
- Applicants are not required to pay the application fee if they have completed Graduate courses at Missouri State University as a Graduate student.
- NOTE: applications will not be processed if the graduate application fee has not been paid.
- Submit to the Graduate College one (1) official transcript showing all course work for the bachelor's degree and any graduate-level work. At minimum, the bachelor's transcript must show grades for the last 60 hours of course work. Missouri State University transcripts do not need to be requested.
- NOTE: Transcripts are not considered official unless they are received directly from the institution where the course work was completed. A transcript that is hand-delivered by a student is considered unofficial even if it does have a seal from the institution or received in an unopened envelope. In addition, students sending transcripts while coursework for a bachelor's egree is in progress will need to send another official copy showing that they ahve been awarded a bachelor's degree.
Acceptance into this certificate program does not imply acceptance into any other Missouri State University masters of doctoral program.
- The student must complete the Certificate Plan of Study form located on the Graduate College website, and submit to the Individualized Certificate Committee for final approval during the first semester of coursework.
- The student must complete 12 credit hours of graduate course work approved by the Individualized Certificate Committee.
- The student must complete the certificate program with at least a 3.00 GPA.
- All courses identified for this certificate must be at the 600-level or above.