Graduate assistantships are offered in both administrative and academic areas throughout the University. A graduate assistantship provides you with the opportunity to gain work experience in your field, network with faculty and staff, and receive a stipend and fee waiver for your work.
To be eligible for a graduate assistantship, you must:
- Be admitted to a graduate program at Missouri State
- Hold a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0; an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 in your last 60 hours; or a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on 9 or more hours of your most recent graduate course work
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA to continue eligibility
The MOGO scholarship cannot be combined with other fee waiver programs, like a graduate assistantship.
International students and teaching assignments
If you did not receive both your primary and secondary education where English was the primary language, you must meet the following requirements to qualify for graduate assistantships with teaching assignments:
- Successful completion of one semester of graduate studies at MSU
- Completion of a cultural orientation during the first semester of studies
- Pass a Missouri State juried examination in which you must demonstrate your ability to interpret written English passages and to communicate orally in English in a classroom setting
Juried examinations are to be coordinated by the Graduate College. Membership of the jury will include one member of the applicant’s major department appointed by the department head, one member from the department of communication and one other faculty representative. The latter two members of the jury are appointed by the dean of the Graduate College.
Expectations for graduate assistants
Graduate assistants are expected to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Complete a minimum of six hours of graduate course work during each fall and spring semester of appointment
- Complete a minimum of three hours of graduate course work during each summer semester of appointment
Work 20 hours per week on average
- Begin work the week prior to the start of classes and to continue through graduation
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA
You cannot hold any additional on-campus positions other than your graduate assistantship during the time of your appointment.
Stipend and fee waiver
Our graduate assistants receive a stipend for living expenses and a fee waiver scholarship. More information about these benefits is available on the Fee Waiver page.