The Graduate College hosts two types of orientation sessions during the year. These sessions introduce graduate students and teaching assistants to the University resources and services available to them.
For new graduate students
The New Graduate Student Orientation is held before each fall and spring semester. Designed for new students, this orientation focuses on the following:
- The nuts and bolts of graduate school
- Research resources
- Graduate assistantship information
- University resources and services
- Meeting fellow graduate students and University faculty and staff
View our slides from the Jan.9th, 2015 New Graduate Student Orientation.
For teaching assistants
All new and returning graduate teaching assistants must attend the Teaching Assistant Orientation held prior to the start of the fall semester.
This orientation provides students with information relevant to their academic role as well as graduate assistantship responsibilities, including:
- Legal issues related to teaching
- Effective teaching strategies
Typically, academic departments also provide formal orientation and training sessions for their specific teaching assignments.