The McNair Assistantships and Graduate College Fellowships were established as pilot projects by the Graduate College. These programs are being discontinued as we examine our graduate student scholarships. During this transition, the Graduate College will offer a limited number of McNair Fellowships in Spring 2017 for the 2017-18 academic year. The primary function of these fellowships will be to enhance the diversity of the graduate student body, which is a focus of the university’s long range plan. These fellowships will be treated like $1000 scholarships per semester in addition to a graduate assistantship stipend, and the commitment is only for one year (2017-18).
The Graduate College anticipates funding up to 15 of McNair Graduate Fellowships to be distributed across the University based in part on the number of assistantships offered by Colleges. Departments are responsible for nominating new students who meet the criteria below, using the nomination form.
To be considered, a nominee must:
- have been a McNair Scholar as an undergraduate.
- be starting a graduate program during the 2017-2018 academic year.
- be offered a graduate assistantship by his/her home department. If formal assistantship offers have not been made by the nomination deadline, a statement from the department indicating the intent to offer an assistantship will be accepted. Graduate programs with no assistantships to offer can request an exemption from this requirement.
The nominating department must make a convincing case that this student would contribute to graduate student diversity. The process for nominating former McNair Scholars is as followed:
- Departments/programs will nominate students via submission of nomination form, resume, and supporting documentation by March 1st 2017. The supporting documentation should include verification of admission to your program, status as a McNair Scholar, and departmental support (generally an assistantship offer).
- Nominations should be submitted electronically (all pieces together) by email to GraduateCollege@missouristate.edu.
- If a department wants to nominate more than one student, it must rank them.
- The Graduate College selects recipients by March 15th 2017.
Questions can be directed to Lisa Taylor (836-5388) or Tom Tomasi (836-5169).