Get a graduate certificate
Go beyond and stand out. Add to what matters most: your education.
Certificate in Spanish
Dr. Luciane Maimone, Program Director
Siceluff Hall, Room 139, Phone: 417-836-5869
The Graduate Certificate in Spanish is a 12-hour concentration in Spanish graduate studies with a focus on Spanish communicative and cultural competence. It is designed for highly motivated students seeking professional development and opportunities to increase linguistic proficiency. This certificate does not lead to teaching certification, although classes may count toward different certification requirements.
- A bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by agencies recognized by Missouri State University or equivalent education from a foreign university.
- A score of intermediate-high or higher in Spanish on the OPI (or equivalent)
- A GPA of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale for the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work or completion of 9 credit hours of graduate course work with a minimum GPA of 3.00.
- All additional university and Graduate College requirements for admission to a certificate program.
Double counting of coursework
Graduate certificate programs must differ from one another by at least 2 courses or 40% of the total certificate credit hours.
Choose 4 courses (12 hours) from the list below:
|Course code||Course Title||Credit hours|
|SPN 610||Advanced Translation||3|
|SPN 624||Advanced Topics in Hispanic Linguistics*||3|
|SPN 690||Advanced Spanish Grammar||3|
|SPN 725||Seminar in Hispanic Literature and Culture||3|
|SPN 735||Advanced Spanish Proficiency||3|
* MCL 691 (or equivalent) is a prerequisite for SPN 624