Individualized Graduate Certificate
The individualized graduate certificate, offered by the Graduate College at Missouri State University, is a 12 credit hour program and provides a graduate-level experience for those who find formally designed options from existing programs do not meet their unique, creative and professional needs, or those seeking growth and advancement within their vocations. The certificate program allows students to expand their knowledge and experiences consistent with their professional goals and objectives in one or more areas.
This graduate certificate will benefit anyone who needs to acquire focused skills, launch a new career unrelated to his/her undergraduate degree and/or retool and update knowledge. The certificate offers a short, focused program of study giving students advanced skills in a particular subject not formally offered and provides continuing education credit opportunities in many careers. In addition, the credit hours earned may apply toward an advanced degree.
NOTE: This certificate program is not eligible for federal financial aid.
- The student must hold a bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by agencies recognized by Missouri State University or equivalent education from a foreign university.
- The student must have a GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale for the last 60 hours of course work.
- The student must submit an application.
- The student must submit to the program coordinator of the individualized graduate certificate program a letter describing:
- why existing programs do not meet the desired academic focus.
- the intended "theme" for the courses to be included in the certificate.
- a list of tentative classes, which must have a clear tie to the applicant's theme.
For the latter, assistance can be obtained from the program coordinator and/or the individualized certificate committee.
- The student must submit to the program coordinator of the individualized graduate certificate program for approval the name of a faculty member willing to serve as his/her advisor who is associated with one of the departments involved in the class list. Assistance in identifying this advisor can be obtained from the program coordinator and/or the individualized certificate committee.
- Application Fee
- For first-time degree-seeking graduate students, pay the $35 nonrefundable graduate application fee.
- Students applying online will be prompted to pay the fee by credit card or electronic check.
- Applicants are not required to pay the application fee if they have completed graduate courses at Missouri State University as a graduate student.
- NOTE: Applications will not be processed if the graduate application fee has not been paid.
- Submit to the Graduate College one (1) official transcript showing all course work for the bachelor's degree and any graduate-level work. At minimum, the bachelor's transcript must show grades for the last 60 hours of course work. Missouri State University transcripts do not need to be requested.
- NOTE: Transcripts are not considered official unless they are received directly from the institution where the course work was completed. A transcript that is hand-delivered by a student is considered unofficial even if it does have a seal from the institution or received in an unopened envelope. In addition, students sending transcripts while course work for a bachelor's degree is in progress will need to send another official copy showing that they have been awarded a bachelor's degree.
Acceptance into this certificate program does not imply acceptance into any other Missouri State University master's or doctoral program.