Certificate in Student Mental Health, Family and Community Support
Denise Cunningham, Program Director
Hill Hall, Room 312B; Phone: 417-836-4492
MSU's Title IV Federal Financial Aid, for this certificate, is pending final approval of application to Department of Education. Check with the MSU Office of Financial Aid if you have questions.
The Graduate Certificate in Student Mental Health, Family, and Community Support is a 9-hour certificate that will prepare educators and other professionals (e.g. school-based clinicians, family, system support and child life specialists, paraeducators, school nurses) to better support the psychosocial needs of children and adolescents through improved interactions with students themselves, their families, and surrounding communities. They will learn interpersonal, behavioral, systemic, and consultation strategies appropriate for diverse students in rural, urban, suburban public, private and home-based learning and educational settings. The certificate is a Missouri State University certificate and does not meet Missouri State Certification requirements for teaching or counselor education.
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 over the bachelor's degree, the last 60 hours of academic work taken, or a master's degree.
- A personal statement that addresses the applicant's professional career goals and how the certificate will help accomplish these goals.
- A brief resume or curriculum Vita.
- Students for whom English is a second language must earn a minimum score of 79 (internet-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Previous coursework will be evaluated by program advisor(s) and prerequisite exceptions will be made based off of course content and knowledge.
Certificate course requirements (9 hrs)
|Course Type||Course Code||Course Title||Credit Hours|
Mental health/trauma-informed course
Counseling and Helping Relationships & Counseling and Helping Relationships Lab
(Select 1 of 5)
Crisis Counseling & Disaster Mental Health Response
|Family Course (Select 1 of 5)||