Distinguished Teaching Assistant Award & MAG Nominee
Deadline: All nomination materials must be submitted to the Graduate College by October 1st. (If October 1 falls on a weekend or holiday, nominations will be accepted on the next working day).
The Graduate Council’s Teaching Assistant Award recognizes and rewards Missouri State students for exemplary TA performance.
To be eligible for this award, a nominee must:
- Have been a teaching assistant during the 2022 calendar year
- Have been a teaching assistant at least two semesters
How to nominate a student
Each academic department that hires teaching assistants may submit one nomination for the award. All nomination materials must be submitted to the Graduate College by October 1st.
The following materials should be included in the student's application packet
- Letter of nomination from the Department Head. This should include:
- a description of any institutional awards/honors presented to graduate students for teaching excellence
- opportunities for teaching assistants to assist in curricular development
- opportunities for an experienced TA to mentor new teaching assistants
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching in Action Video (maximum 10 minutes). Instructions found at this link.
- Nominee’s Teaching Portfolio (Please use the following headings):
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (references are allowed if personal philosophy aligns with known theories)
- Evidence of Instructional Design, Innovation, Delivery, Course Management, and Student Learning
- Student Evaluation of Teaching (Please indicate courses TAUGHT as a graduate teaching assistant at this institution, number of students, instructional responsibility, and a summary of student evaluations)
- Evidence of Scholarship in Teaching/Learning (Publications/presentations or grant proposals submitted/funded which focused on teaching/learning; evidence of how pedagogical research informs your teaching).
- Evidence of Effective Student/Colleague Mentoring.
Please note: Excluding nomination form, letters of nomination and support, and vitae, the nomination (Teaching Portfolio) is limited to six (6) double spaced pages, 12-point font. Applications which do not adhere to submission requirements, including deadlines, page limits, formatting, and video length, will be ineligible for consideration.
All nomination letters and student application packets should be submitted to the Graduate College electronically at GraduateCollege@MissouriState.edu. Please send documents that are in either Word or PDF format only.
Please contact the Graduate College for any questions or for more information.
The recipient of this award will automatically be the university nominee for the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS) Distinguished Teaching Assistant Award.
A short video must be submitted with the nomination information. If additional video is necessary, this will be done late in the fall semester or very early in the spring semester.