Stipend and fee waiver
Missouri State graduate assistants receive the following:
- Stipend for living expenses
- Fee waiver scholarship
For more information, visit the Fee Waiver page.
Expectations for graduate assistants
Graduate assistants are expected to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Complete graduate course work towards your degree of at least six hours during each fall and spring semester of appointment, and three hours during each summer semester of appointment (audited classes do not count).
- Work 20 hours per week on average.
- Begin work the week prior to the start of classes and to continue through graduation.
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA.
Note: You cannot hold any additional on-campus positions other than your graduate assistantship during the time of your appointment.
Access the graduate assistantship timesheet.
Students interested in teaching assignments
If you did not receive both your primary and secondary education in a nation or territory where English was the primary language, you must meet the following requirements to qualify for graduate assistantships with teaching assignments according to Missouri law (RSMo Section 170.012):
- All graduate students, who have not previously lived in the United States, shall be given and complete a cultural orientation to prepare them for the teaching assignment. This includes international students and permanent residents;
- A graduate student who did not receive both primary and secondary education in a nation or territory in which English is the primary language shall not be given a teaching appointment during his/her first semester of enrollment at any public institution of higher education in the state of Missouri; and
- A graduate student who did not receive both his/her primary and secondary education in a nation or territory in which English was the primary language shall be tested for their ability to communicate orally in English in a classroom setting prior to receiving a teaching appointment.
Oral English Proficiency examinations are to be coordinated by the hiring department and include a member of a committee appointed by the dean of the Graduate College.
Please see the attached instructions and Request for Exam of Classroom Oral English Proficiency.